Extended Open Enrollment for the Group Insurance Commission (GIC)
April 6 – June 1, 2020
The Group Insurance Commission’s (GIC) annual enrollment period begins on April 6, 2020 and will end on June 1, 2020, for insurance enrollments and changes effective on July 1, 2020. If you want to keep your current GIC health plan, you do not need to fill out any paperwork. Your insurance coverage will continue automatically. Please note, however, that you must reenroll in the flexible spending accounts (HCSA and/or DCAP) if you wish to continue that benefit.
New This Year: To facilitate a smooth open enrollment in a remote work environment, the GIC is requesting that all changes be processed online via MyGICLink Instructions for using the MyGICLink are included below.
Open Enrollment is your one-time annual opportunity to:
- Change your GIC health insurance plan online via MyGICLink
- Cancel your GIC health insurance plan without documentation
- Participate in the Buy-Out program
- Add or remove dependent(s) from your GIC health plan without a qualifying event
- Enroll in the $5,000 Basic Life Insurance policy
- Enroll, or re-enroll online to participate in the HCSA or DCAP
Please use the following link to access the GIC’s 2020-2021 Benefit Decision Guide to help you make an informed decision about your benefit options during Annual Enrollment: https://www.mass.gov/lists/gic-benefit-decision-guides
Health Insurance & Flexible Spending Accounts for Coverage Effective July 1, 2020
Important details about plan and premium changes appear in the 20-21 GIC Benefit Decision Guide. Please take this opportunity to:
- Review plan coverages and premiums provided in the 20-21 GIC Benefit Decision Guide. Please note that health insurance plans cannot be changed mid-plan year unless you move out of your plan’s network area.
- Verify if your doctors and hospitals remain in your health insurance plan network, verify provider and hospital tiers. Health plan provider and hospital networks change each July 1.
- Complete and submit a GIC Enrollment/Change Form (Form-1) and GIC's Beneficiary Designation Form (Form-319) in MyGICLink before midnight June 1, 2020. GIC requires a copy of a marriage certificate to add a spouse and a copy of a birth certificate(s) to add a dependent child(ren). These forms may be uploaded in MyGICLink. If you are adding a dependent between the age of 19 to 26, a Dependent Age 19 to 26 Enrollment and Change Form must be completed.
- Enroll (or re-enroll) in the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) online with Benefits Strategies before midnight on June 1, 2020. This is the once-annual opportunity to establish a Health Care Spending Account (HCSA; $250 - $2,750) or Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP; $250 - $5,000) for coverage effective July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021.
Health Insurance Buy-Out:
If you have access to a non-GIC employer sponsored health insurance (for example, through your spouse) it may pay to participate in the Buy-out Program. If you were insured with the GIC on or before January 1, 2020, and continue your coverage through June 30, 2020, you may apply to buy-out your health plan coverage effective July 1, 2020. Complete the Buy-Out form through MyGICLink by Monday, June 1, 2020.
For more information regarding the GIC Buy-Out program see: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/health-insurance-buy-out
Optional Life Insurance Non-Smoker Benefit: During Annual Enrollment, if you have been tobacco-free (have not smoked cigarettes, cigars or a pipe nor used snuff, chewing tobacco or a nicotine delivery system) for at least the past 12 months, you are eligible for reduced non-smoker Optional Life Insurance rates. You will be required to periodically recertify your non-smoking status in order to qualify for the lower rates.
Note: All health plan premiums will change effective July 1, 2020. For information regarding plan and premium changes please visit the following website: https://www.mass.gov/lists/gic-benefit-rates
GIC 2020-21 Benefits Decision Guide: https://www.mass.gov/doc/fy2021-state-employee-benefit-decision-guide/download
MyGIC Link: https://mygiclink.force.com/GenerateDocusignPage
Flexible Spending Account Annual Enrollment Form: https://www.benstrat.com/gic-fsa/
Annual Enrollment Checklist: https://mygiclink.com/
- You may request a call from a GIC Representative by completing their online contact form: https://www.mass.gov/forms/contact-the-gic
- Email UMass Boston Benefits Manager, Stephanie Deronette at E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for familiarizing yourself with this year’s GIC Open Enrollment information.
Wishing you and your loved ones good health during this challenging time.
Using My GICLink:
Please use the MyGIC link to request e-forms and to submit them electronically:
- You will be prompted to enter your email address. (This may be your work email or personal email address as it depends on the email you have provided to the GIC)
- Enter your Date of Birth
- Choose the appropriate form(s) and select “Request”
Forms will be sent to the provided email for you to complete online, and you will receive a confirmation email when forms are received by the GIC.
NOTE: If the MyGIC system does not recognize your email address you will receive receive a notification indicating "your contact information can not be found". If you receive this notice, please email UMass Boston Benefits Manager Stephanie Deronette at email@example.com.