Group Insurance Commission (GIC) Annual Enrollment
Wednesday, April 7 – Wednesday, May 5, 2021
The Group Insurance Commission’s (GIC) annual enrollment period begins today, Wednesday, April 7, 2021 and will end on May 5, 2021, for insurance enrollments and changes effective on July 1, 2021. If you want to keep your current GIC health plan, you are not required to complete any paperwork, your insurance coverage will continue automatically. Please note, however, that you must re-enroll in the flexible spending accounts (HCSA and/or DCAP), if you wish to continue that benefit.
Open Enrollment is your one-time annual opportunity to:
- Change your GIC health insurance plan online via MyGICLink
- Cancel your GIC health insurance plan without documentation
- Participate in the Buy-Out program
- Add or remove dependent(s) from your GIC health plan without a qualifying event
- Enroll in the $5,000 Basic Life Insurance policy
- Enroll, or re-enroll online to participate in the HCSA or DCAP
Please use the following link to access the GIC’s 2021-2022 Benefit Decision Guide to help you make an informed decision about your benefit options during Annual Enrollment: KNOW YOUR GIC BENEFITS - COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS EMPLOYEES
Health Insurance Buy-Out:
If you have access to a non-GIC employer sponsored health insurance (for example, through your spouse) it may pay to participate in the Buy-out Program. If you were insured with the GIC on or before January 1, 2021, and continue your coverage through June 30, 2021, you may apply to buy-out your health plan coverage effective July 1, 2021. Use MyGICLink to submit your completed Buy-Out form no later than May 5, 2021.
Under the Buy-Out plan, eligible state employees receive 25% of the full-cost monthly premium in lieu of health insurance benefits for one 12-month period of time. For more information regarding the GIC Buy-Out program see: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/health-insurance-buy-out
Optional Life Insurance Non-Smoker Benefit: During Annual Enrollment, if you have been tobacco-free (have not smoked cigarettes, cigars or a pipe nor used snuff, chewing tobacco or a nicotine delivery system) for at least the past 12 months, you are eligible for reduced non-smoker Optional Life Insurance rates. You will be required to periodically recertify your non-smoking status in order to qualify for the lower rates.
Note: All health plan premiums will change effective July 1, 2021. For information regarding plan and premium changes please visit the following website: https://www.mass.gov/lists/gic-benefit-rates
Go Digital: If GIC has your email address on file, you may use myGICLink to access enrollment forms to make Annual Enrollment changes.
NOTE: If the MyGIC system does not recognize your email address you will receive a notification indicating “your contact information cannot be found”. If you receive this notice, please email UMass Boston Benefits Manager, Stephanie Deronette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To speak with a GIC Representative, please complete the online contact form at https://www.mass.gov/forms/contact-the-gic
- Email UMass Boston Benefits Manager, Stephanie Deronette at E-mail: email@example.com
- For specific questions regarding coverage type, services, and tiering, please contact insurance carrier directly.