Employees can elect to receive their W‐2 statements online through HR Direct Self Service in an IRS approved PDF format. This allows you to print and send the online form with your tax return.
The University is required by the IRS to furnish all employees with a form W‐2 for each calendar year. The form W‐2 details the employee’s compensation, tax withholdings and required disclosures for the year. An employee who consents to receiving the Form W-2 electronically will not receive a paper copy (unless specifically requested). Please note that newly hired University employees are not eligible to complete the consent process until they have received their first paycheck in the current calendar year. If an employee does not consent, Payroll will mail a paper W-2 via the US Postal Service to the current address on record.
Benefits of Receiving Form W-2 Electronically:
- Earlier access to the Form W-2.
- No possibility an employee's Form W-2 might be lost, delayed or misplaced by the U.S mail service or by the employee, once received.
- Access is available at the same easy-to-use, secure web site at which an employee can access his/her wage and general account information.
- Access can be attained even if the employee is not presently at his/her residence, for example, if participating in a study-abroad program.
- Multiple levels of security protect all information within the Employee Self Service System.
If an employee does not consent to receive an electronic version of Form W-2, he or she will be furnished a Form W-2 in paper form and it will be mailed directly to your current address on record.
Why should I sign up for Electronic W2 consent?
You will not have to wait for your W2 to arrive by mail. There is no possibility your W2 might be lost, delayed or misplaced by the U.S mail service. This is another way to help keep your data safe.
How do I set up my electronic W2 consent?
- Once you are logged in to HR Direct, click on W-2/W-2c Consent tile.
- Review the consent form, click the consent check box, and click the submit button.
If you consent to electronic delivery of your W2 but leave UMass before the electronic W2 is available, you will receive a paper copy via the U.S. mail.
What if I change my mind after I have elected the electronic W2 consent?
- You can reverse your decision at any time by removing your consent.
- Log in to HR Direct and navigate to the W2/W-2c Consent page.
- Click the check box for withdrawing your consent and click the submit button.