Leave of Absence
There are numerous types of available paid and unpaid leaves of absence, including sick, vacation, personal, funeral, court, educational, sabbatical, military, maternity, parental and family.
The appropriate collective bargaining agreement or non-unit employees benefit information will have details on what leaves are applicable to administrators, faculty, librarians or staff.
Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
Employees may be entitled to additional benefits as outlined by the Family and Medical Leave Act and the University Board of Trustee policy on FMLA (pdf).
- FMLA/PFML Request Form (pdf)
- More information about the Family Medical Leave Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Faculty Parental Leave Form
- Health Certification Form for Employees
- Health Certification Form to Care for a Family Member
- Return to Work Form
Mass. Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML)
PFML stands for Paid Family Medical Leave. It is a state-offered benefit for anyone who works in Massachusetts and offers up to 26 weeks of paid leave for medical or family reasons. PFML is funded through a Massachusetts tax, and is separate from both the federally mandated benefits offered by the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and from leave benefits that may be offered by your employer. PFML is effective January 1, 2021 or July 1, 2021, depending on the type of leave. For more information, please see the UMass President's office's Paid Family Medical Leave webpage. Complete the FMLA/PFML Request Form to apply for leave from the University and complete an application via the Department of Paid Family Medical Leave website to apply for PFML benefits.
Sick Leave Bank
Employees may utilize accrued paid leave concurrent with an approved leave of absence, in accordance with the provisions of the collective bargaining agreements and the non-unit policy, with the exception of leave under the Paid Family Medical Leave Act. If an employee exhausts all but 10 days of accrued vacation leave, they may be eligible for a withdrawal from the sick bank.
- Classified Staff Union Sick Leave Bank Application
- Professional Staff Union Sick Leave Bank Application
- Non-Unit Staff Sick Leave Bank Application
- Contact the Benefits Team at email@example.com to request a withdrawal from the Faculty Staff Union sick bank
For more information about Leaves of Absence, please contact the Benefits Team within Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-287-5150