Skip to Content

Flexible Spending Accounts

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) save you pre-tax money on medical and child care expenses which is deducted from your paycheck on a fiscal plan-year basis. Benefits Strategies is the provider; for more information, see

Please note: funds not spent during the eligible period are lost. Each participant is encouraged to carefully calculate the amount you elect to contribute each year.

Lists of eligible expenses, enrollment information, and the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Participant Handbook. Or call 1.800.659.3035.

Health Care Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)

DCAP allows you to pay for $1 - $5,000 of qualified dependent care expenses on a pre-tax basis.

Eligible expenses may only be incurred for dependents under 13 years of age for care while you are working are and include day care day camp, after school programs, nursery school, and more.

Please note: you may either use the DCAP program or claim the child care tax credit when you file your taxes—not both. Additionally, if you have an older IRS dependent who lives with you at least 8 hours per day and requires someone to come into the house to assist with day-to-day living, you can claim these expenses through your DCAP.

Health Care Spending Account (HCSA)

HCSA allows you to pay for $250 - $2,700 of annual eligible health care expenses on a pre-tax basis. Eligible expenses include most medical co-pays, eyeglasses and contact lenses not covered by your health or vision insurance, orthodontia and dental expenses not covered by your dental insurance and more.

As a participant in the HCSA you receive two debit cards, enabling you to pay eligible expenses directly rather than submitting a claim form. You must still retain receipts in case the HCSA/DCAP plan administrator requires a copy of the receipt or in case of audit by the IRS. You may purchase two additional cards at $5.00 per set.

Debit cards cannot be used for DCAP expenses.

How to Apply

GIC-eligible employees may apply to participate in the HCSA and/or DCAP when completing initial hiring paperwork or during annual open enrollment any year for participation in the following plan year and are provided enrollment information at each of these times.

Current participants/New Participants must enroll or re‐enroll each year to continue participating. All HCSA and DCAP enrollments must be processed on‐line at between April 3, 2019 and before midnight on May 1, 2019 -- no need to submit a hard-copy enrollment confirmation!

HCSA and DCAP Participation Fees

Monthly fee for HCSA & DCAP: The pre-tax participation fee for one or both plans is $2.00, payroll deducted once per month.

Filing a Claim for Reimbursement

HCSA participants may use the debit card issued by the plan administrator to pay for eligible expenses directly or submit a claim form to the plan administrator requesting reimbursement via check or direct deposit.

DCAP participants may request reimbursement of eligible expenses up to the amount contributed to the plan calendar-year-to-date by submitting a claim form the plan administrator.

Period of Eligible Expenses

Elections/contributions made in one plan year may be used during the first 2.5 months of the following plan year as long as the expense is submitted for reimbursement by the annual deadline.

Impact of a Leave of Absence on HCSA and DCAP

Paid leave has no impact on HCSA; for DCAP the IRS regulations state that you must be at work in order to incur DCAP - eligible expenses. Please refer to plan administrator for details and options to pre-pay contributions to avoid an interruption of FSA benefit(s).

Leaves Not Paid by the University

Health Care Spending Account: You may not incur expenses eligible for HCSA reimbursement during an unpaid leave. Bi-weekly deductions upon return to university payroll will be increased to meet your full annual election amount. Please refer to plan administrator  for details and options to pre-pay contributions to avoid an interruption of FSA benefit(s).

Change Election Amount Mid-Year

You may enroll or change your plan-year FSA election within 30 days of a qualifying event by completing and submitting a  HCSA/DCAP Change Form with proof of that qualifying event to Human Resources.

Please note that the qualifying event must correspond with the change in election (i.e., marriage constitutes an increase in election; divorce constitutes a decrease in election) and supporting documentation must be provided at the time of enrollment or change of election.

A list of qualifying events is available on the plan administrator's FAQs webpage.